|U.S. Residential Electricity Price|
The United States has identified the reasons behind rising electricity costs and has overcome them.
There are two reasons for high electricity prices in Australia:
- Peak demand has been growing very quickly. Australia's national electricity market rules encourage massive investment in grid infrastructure that is only used for a few hundred hours per year.
- Air conditioners are being installed at an increasing rate. Australia has opted for air-conditioners that increase peak demand for electricity.
The United States has overcome both of these causes of Australia's high electricity prices:
- Peak demand is addressed by rewarding electricity consumers who are able to reduce their demand for electricity in peak periods. With NO massive investment in grid infrastructure to be used for just a few hundred hours per year, there is no need to double electricity prices to pay for it.
- The United States is installing air conditioning systems that shift the cooling load of buildings to off-peak periods.
|Australian residential electricity prices|
Further reading - Demand Response1. Comprehensive Demand Response with DemandSMART
2. DemandSMART Australia: Beat the Peak – and Get Paid
Further reading - Off-peak air conditioners1.
2. How Off-peak Cooling Systems Work
3. Off-peak Cooling Basics
4. Off-peak Cooling Systems For Light Commercial and Residential Use
5. The Future of Off-peak Cooling
|Air conditioners are energy hogs, so if you want to save money, go off peak.|